Great Indian Festival is Bharat’s biggest “sellerbration” on Amazon ever!
More SMBs participate than ever; Over 1.1 Lakh sellers get order, 66% of them from non-metros
Bharat shops safely on Amazon.in – orders from 98.4% of India’s pin-codes in 48 hours
More new customers choose Amazon.in than ever; 91% from small towns
Biggest ever day of shopping by Prime members during Prime Early Access
- Customers love the over 4 crore selection from small & medium businesses (SMBs) as more than 1.4 million customers shopped and won coupons during lead up to the Great Indian Festival
- Strongest ever start for SMBs with record sales; over 5,000 sellers clock sales worth INR 1MM (10 lakh) in SMB pre-festive lead up & first 48 hours of the Great Indian Festival
- Prime continues to be a customer favourite; 85% more new sign ups compared to Prime Early Access last year with more than 66% of new sign-ups coming from tier II & III towns
- Samsung, Apple, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Asus, Lenovo, HP, LG, Whirlpool, Bajaj Appliances, Eureka Forbes – brands see their biggest 48 hours ever on Amazon.in.
- More new launches than ever before – OnePlus 8T, Samsung M31 Prime Edition, OnePlus Nord (Gray Ash), Xbox Series S, Maggi 2 minute Desi Cheesy Masala, Samsung 6.5 kg fully automatic washing machine, new collection from BIBA & Max being customer favourites among over 1,100 new launches
- Popular categories include Smartphones, Large Appliances & TVs and Consumer Electronics. Smartphones, Fashion and Consumables attracted the most number of new customers. Work from home essentials like study tables, chairs and dishwashers continue to remain popular
- Customers love Echo – Prime Early Access during the Great Indian Festival was the single biggest day of sale for Echo devices on Amazon.in
- Alexa on Amazon.in app receives its highest single day requests of over 1 million requests to guide customers to their product searches, best deals, bill payments, music and more during Prime Early Access.
- Customers loved the Great Indian Festival experience in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada
- Affordability programs enable record number of customers upgrade their shopping baskets; customers enjoy EMI options from 24 banks for the first time; more than 600 Cr credit disbursed during Prime Early Access.
Bengaluru, October 18, 2020: Amazon announced today that its Great Indian festival (GIF) has seen the biggest ever opening for its sellers and brand partners on Amazon.in, bringing happiness to millions of customers across all corners of the country. GIF began on midnight of October 16 with Prime Early Access and opened up for all customers on October 17. More shoppers and sellers participated in the opening 48 hours Great Indian Festival than any opening two days before.
“Over 1.1 Lakh sellers receiving orders; 66% sellers, 91% of new customers, and 66% of new Prime sign-ups from small towns; shopping in 5 Indian languages; and orders from over 98.4% of India’s pin-codes in just 48 hours – it’s truly Bharat’s biggest celebration on Amazon ever!” said Manish Tiwary, Vice President, Amazon India. “We are humbled how sellers, brands and ecosystem partners nationwide have come together during these unprecedented times to spread joy across the country. We look forward to help their businesses get back on track, and safely delivery joy to our customers during this festive season”
Mayank Mittal from GEIndia is a Delhi-based Local Shop seller on Amazon.in. He said “We were expecting more traffic with Amazon’s Great Indian Festival but had never thought it would lead to an 8X increase in sales. The experience has been amazing for our electronics business.”
Samsung India’sAsim Warsi, Senior Vice President said “The Great Indian Festival has already become the biggest days for Samsung Mobiles in India. Customers across the country have especially loved our recent launches - Samsung Galaxy M51 and Galaxy M31 Prime, appreciating their best-in-class features and specifications”
Overall scale, reach and customer response
- Largest number of new customers shopped for the first time on Amazon.in; 91% of new customers came from smaller cities
- Customers from 98.4% pin codes shopped in the first 48 hours of GIF
- Customers experienced the Great Indian Festival in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada
Prime continues to thrill customers
- Prime members shopped more during Prime Early Access than on any other day
- More than 66% of new Prime member sign-ups during Prime Early Access were from tier II & III cities such as Tawang, Changlang, Mokokchung, Baran, Pudukkottai, Una and Jaunpur
Sellers win early with a jumpstart to the Great Indian Festival from October 6
- Strongest ever start for sellers on Amazon.in with record sales
- More than 32% sellers see their biggest day on Amazon.in
- More than 1,10,000 sellers received an order since pre-festive lead up on Amazon.in
- 66% of sellers who received an order were from tier II & III cities such as Yadgir in Karnataka, Virudhunagar in Tamil Nadu and Lakhisarai in Bihar
- Karigar sellers received an order from over 15,000 pin codes. Most loved products were Block Printed Dohar from Block Of India, Sambalpuri Sarees from Odisha Handloom and Women’s handloom Kurtis from Star Fashion
- Local Shops sellers received an order from nearly 1,000 pin codes. Most loved products were Organic India Ginger Tulsi Turmeric Tea, Tata Sky HD Connection and Lifebuoy Hand Sanitizers
- Over 2,800 new products brought by Launchpad brands. Most loved products were Dr. Vaku’s Pulse Oximeter, Asgard’s 3 layer protective face mask with nose clip and Dr. Vaidya’s Herbobuild Ayurvedic capsules for muscles
Customers shopped for everything big and small
- Top sold categories were Smartphones, Large Appliances and Consumer Electronics with leading brands OnePlus, Samsung, Apple and Xiaomi making record sales.
- New products received a rousing response; popular new products were OnePlus 8T, Samsung M31 Prime Edition, OnePlus Nord (Gray Ash), Xbox Series S, Maggi 2 minute Desi Cheesy Masala, Samsung 6.5 kg fully automatic washing machine, new collection from BIBA & Max among over 1,100 new launches
- Smartphones remained popular among customers; iPhone 11, Redmi Note Series, Redmi 9A, OnePlus 8T, OnePlus Nord and Samsung M31 Prime Edition were among the popular smartphones on Amazon.in; Total iPhones sold on Amazon.in in one day were more than the total iPhones sold in entire festive sale period of last year
- Popular appliances were fully automatic top & front load washing machines, direct cool refrigerators, air conditioners, microwave ovens and dishwashers
- Top-selling electronics were laptops, headphones, tablets, cameras and smartwatches. Customers also loved selection across security cameras and drones. Asus, Lenovo & HP were leading laptop brands; Samsung & Apple leading tablets, and TP Link & Netgear were leading in networking products
- TVs with Alexa OnePlus 43”, OnePlus 32” and Samsung 32” popular this season
- Smart bulbs and bedsheets in Home, water purifiers and mixer grinders in Kitchen
- Women’s kurtis, sarees, casual tops, t-shirts and athleisure popular in Apparel
- Suitcases, luggage sets and gold jewellery popular this season
- More customers are looking at gaming as a hobby – gaming consoles popular during GIF
- In health & hygiene categories, Savlon disinfectant Sprays, Whisper sanitary pads, Chyawanprash, Dettol & Dove bathing soaps see a spike
- Within grocery, products with dry fruits, spreads & cooking supplies were popular
- Vaseline & Ponds Body lotions, Dove & Wow shampoos, Lakme Kajal were popular beauty products
- For pet parents, Pedigree Adult Dog Food and Whiskas dry cat food were among the popular products
- Baby products such as diapers & skincare products like Himalaya baby lotion & Pampers anti rash diapers were widely sought after
- The Nerf rival blasters - a new launch in India was among the most sought after newly launched toys
- Treadmills in fitness essentials, grills, fertilizer and soil in Garden & Outdoors, Car care in Tools & Equipment also popular in the country
- Customers loved Alexa – Prime Early Access during the Great Indian Festival was the single biggest day of sale for Echo devices on Amazon.in
- Customers loved the new Fire TV Stick and Fire TV Stick Lite; streaming media player category sold nearly 2x units vs. the first day of GIF last year.
- Over 1 lakh customers bought Amazon devices, Echo and Fire TV devices
- The Echo Dot (3rd Gen) and the All New Fire TV Stick were among the top 10 products sold on Amazon.in
- Kindle sales were more than 2.5X vs. first day of the sale last year.
- In the run up to the Great Indian Festival, Alexa answered over ~100K requests from customers on the Amazon shopping app to help navigate to their favourite stores such as the SMB Store, the Great Indian Bazaar, deals, gifting store and the Fun Zone.
- On the Amazon Shopping app, Alexa received its highest single day requests of over 1 million to guide customers to their product searches, best deals, bill payments, music and much more during Prime Exclusive Access
Customers could afford more and saved big
- This festive season Amazon made shopping affordable by offering EMI across 24 banks for the first time
- Credit amount of more than INR 600 crore was disbursed during Prime Early Access.
- 2 out of every 3 EMIs were no cost EMI
- 3 out of 4 EMI shoppers came from Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities.
- More than 3.5 lakh phones were sold on EMI
- 1 out of 3 ACs and Refrigerators was bought on EMI
- 1 out of 3 OnePlus and OPPO smartphones was bought on EMI
For more information, please contact:
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd, an affiliate of Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class e-commerce marketplace. For more information, visit www.amazon.in/aboutus. Join Amazon Newsroom: Twitter | Facebook