Comedy, Horror and Cartoons were the most searched genre of content by Indians: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Trends Report 2022
- Indian households spent four hours every day to binge-watch and stream entertainment content
- Pushpa: The Rise was the most searched movie on Fire TV via voice commands to Alexa
- Shah Rukh Khan, Amitabh Bachchan and Alia Bhatt were the most searched actors
- India vs Pakistan T20 World Cup match was the most streamed content of the year
- Second time in a row, Taarak Mehta ka Ooltah Chashmah tickled the funny bone of Indian viewers to retain its spot as the most searched show via Alexa
Bangalore, India— 31 January 2023: With the growing popularity of internet-based content, Indian households spent more than four hours per day binge-watching on their connected TVs with Fire TV. The annual edition of Amazon Fire TV Streaming Trends Report captures aggregated insights on how Indian viewers consumed content on their Fire TV devices in 2022. Regional content gained preference in the last year; Fire TV users enjoyed content in more than 12 languages with Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam and Bengali topping the list.
“2022 saw some of the biggest moments in the history of global sports, and we delivered those exhilarating moments to millions of Fire TV customers with multiple OTT streaming services”, said Parag Gupta, Director and Country Manager for Amazon Devices India. “From sports, movies, infotainment, music, to soap operas, it’s great to see customers enjoy voice-search and binge-watch content in multiple languages on their Fire TV devices. These insights inspire us to keep innovating Fire TV for a faster, seamless, personalised and immersive viewing experience.”
Other highlights of the Amazon Fire TV Streaming Trends Report:
Indians placed six search queries every second through Alexa on Fire TV
- Indians gravitated towards adding more laughter to their life last year by choosing Comedy as the most streamed genre of content. Horror and Cartoons were the other two most-searched genres
- There is no other love like the love for movies. In 2022, Pushpa: The Rise was the most searched movie on Fire TV, followed by Brahmāstra and The Kashmir Files
- Shah Rukh Khan, Amitabh Bachchan and Alia Bhatt continued to rule the hearts of millions of movie-buffs –taking the first three spots in the list of most searched actors through Alexa on Fire TV
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashma made it to the top of the search list on Fire TV for the second year in a row, followed by Anupamaa and Indian Idol
- Motu Patlu, Peppa Pig, and Doraemon were the most searched kid’s content
India loves streaming free content
- Online content explosion led to a 44% increase in viewership of free content platforms
- YouTube, Mini TV and MX Player were the most streamed free content platforms
Record breaking viewership on Fire TV
- October witnessed maximum video streaming during the year credits to the T20 World Cup, and new content releases around movies and web series including Ram Setu, Doctor G, Mismatched Season – 2, The Rings of Power – Season Finale, Four More Shots Please! – Season 3, Maja Ma, The Peripheral, Jurassic World Dominium, The White Lotus, among others
- India vs Pakistan T20 World Cup match on 23rd October’22 recorded the highest viewership on a single day
- FIFA World Cup led to a 10X increase in JioCinema streaming on Fire TV
*The above information is based on aggregated data of content streamed and searched on Fire TV in India from January– December 2022.
About Fire TV
Fire TV is the one-stop destination for all the streaming needs and brings together 12,000+ channels, apps, and Alexa skills for a flexible, easy-to-use, and personalised experience. It is built on the Fire OS and it converts your normal TV to a smart TV. It supports all the major OTT apps like Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube, ZEE5, Voot, Sony Liv, and much more. With Fire TV devices one can keep the whole family entertained. There’s a little something for everyone, be it kids, elders, movie buffs or sports fans. Kids have a whole range of content that can be accessed like Chu Chu TV, YouTube Kids, Voot Kids to name a few. Press and hold the voice/ Alexa button on the Fire TV remote and ask Alexa to find, launch and control content. Easily search and enjoy thousands of movies, TV shows, apps, and games. Alexa can also play music, control compatible- smart home appliances, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, and set alarms. Customers can choose from a range of devices such as Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Cube, and Smart TVs with Fire TV built-in. For more information visit https://www.amazon.in/l/22408641031.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Amazon strives to be Earth’s Most Customer-Centric Company, Earth’s Best Employer, and Earth’s Safest Place to Work. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalised recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the things pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.aboutamazon.in and follow @AmazonNews_IN.