Amazon India and Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB) join hands to boost India’s creative economy
- Amazon and MIB will collaborate to promote creative talent, commence capacity building measures and showcase Made in India creative content, globally
- Enable discoverability of Indian talent through IMDb
- Prime Video and miniTV to work towards creating internships, and scholarship opportunities for students at FTII, SRFTII and curate masterclasses for students as well as 75 Creative Minds of Tomorrow
- Iconic content from NFDC, Doordarshan, and IFFI to be showcased on Prime Video and miniTV to commemorate Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav
- A special storefront on Amazon.in to be curated to list books and other products by MIB’s publication division
- Amazon Music and Alexa to also disseminate rich and diverse Indian music content
New Delhi: April 5, 2023 – Amazon India today announced that it has signed a Letter of Engagement (LoE) with the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB), Government of India, with an objective of growing India’s creative economy. As part of this collaboration, Amazon and MIB will help build pathways to promote creative talent in India, create capacity across film and TV institutes, and globally showcase Made in India creative content. The LoE was signed at The National Media Centre, New Delhi in presence of Hon’ble Shri Anurag Singh Thakur, Union Minister for Information & Broadcasting and Youth Affairs & Sports, Government of India, Chetan Krishnaswamy, Vice President Public Policy at Amazon India and Gaurav Gandhi, Vice President, Asia Pacific, Prime Video.
As part of the LoE, National Film Development Corporation (NFDC) and IMDb will work together to help enable discoverability of India’s creative talent by listing their profiles and skill sets on the ranking’s platform. Prime Video and miniTV will both work towards providing internships, and scholarships to students at Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) and Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute (SRFTII). This will enable students to gain real work exposure, and become industry-ready. Additionally, to commemorate the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav Celebrations, iconic content from NFDC, Doordarshan, and International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will be showcased on Prime Video and miniTV, reaching a vast majority of Indians, furthering its cultural influence and expanding its soft-power. Furthermore, skill-based masterclasses will be organized for the students of various film and TV institutes and 75 Creative Minds of Tomorrow – an annual talent enrichment program under the umbrella of IFFI where 75 young, talented artists, shortlisted by MIB will be selected and coached.
Amazon.in will also curate a special storefront feature to promote books and journals across genre reflecting India’s proud heritage from MIB’s Publication Division. The Alexa All India Radio skill published by Prasar Bharti will help disseminate news bulletins, and educational content. The collaboration will also help in broadening the reach of Prasar Bharati’s, rich and diverse music via Amazon Music and Alexa.
Speaking about the partnership with Amazon, Shri Anurag Singh Thakur, Union Minister for Information & Broadcasting and Youth Affairs & Sports, Government of India, said, "The partnership with Amazon India is unique on a number of counts and the Letter of Engagement spans across various aspects of the creative industry. The partnership would help to strengthen industry-academia linkages through provisions for scholarships, internships, masterclasses, and other opportunities for students at Film and Television Institute of India and Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute of India, and help to reduce the period of struggle for the talented artists coming out of prestigious film institutes of India"
“As the Indian economy expands at a fast-clip, Amazon is uniquely placed to contribute to the nation’s growth journey on multiple fronts including e-commerce, logistics, digital skilling, cloud computing, payments, artificial intelligence and in building the creative economy. Over the years, we have been working with the Indian government to create a meaningful impact at scale through our various collaborations and initiatives,” said Chetan Krishnaswamy, Vice President Public Policy at Amazon India. “As we celebrate Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, this milestone Letter of Engagement with the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, strengthens our commitment to globally promote and showcase India’s creative talent and stories through our multiple services such as Prime Video, miniTV, Amazon Music, Alexa, IMDb, and our marketplace business,” added Chetan.
“At Prime Video, we have always looked at ourselves as the enablers of the creative ecosystem. As an entertainment hub, there is room for every story to be told, which are only enriched if more passionate storytellers find the training, platform and resources required to bring their best work forward,” said Gaurav Gandhi, Vice President, Asia-Pacific, Prime Video. “Our rich cultural diversity offers immense potential, to drive a thriving creative economy and further India’s soft- power, internationally. Our holistic collaboration with MIB, looks at every life stage and every-corner of integration to stimulate the growth of the industry, and we are very optimistic of the pathways that it will create,” added Gaurav.
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd, an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, competitive prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class e-commerce marketplace.
For more information, visit amazon.in/aboutus
For news on Amazon, follow twitter.com/AmazonNews_IN
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.
ABOUT PRIME VIDEO
Prime Video is a premium streaming service that offers Prime members a collection of award-winning Amazon Original series, thousands of movies and TV shows—all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place. Find out more at PrimeVideo.com.
- Included with Prime Video: Thousands of acclaimed TV shows and movies across languages and geographies, including Indian films such as Shershaah, Soorarai Pottru, Sardar Udham, Gehraiyaan, Jai Bhim, Jalsa, Shakuntala Devi, Sherni, Narappa, Sarpatta Parambarai, Kuruthi, Joji, Malik, and #HOME, along with Indian-produced Amazon Original series like The Family Man, Mirzapur, Made in Heaven, Four More Shots Please!, Mumbai Diaries 26/11, Suzhal – The Vortex, Modern Love, Paatal Lok, Bandish Bandits, Guilty Minds, and Amazon Original movies like Maja Ma and Ammu. Also included are popular global Amazon Originals like The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power, Reacher, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, The Boys, Hunters, Fleabag, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and many more, available for unlimited streaming as part of a Prime membership. Prime Video includes content across Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Punjabi, and Bengali. Prime Video subscription is available in India at no extra cost with Prime membership for just ₹1499 annually. New customers can find out more atwww.amazon.in/prime .
- Prime Video Mobile Edition: Consumers can also enjoy Prime Video’s exclusive content library including LIVE cricket with Prime Video Mobile Edition at ₹599 per year. This single-user, mobile-only annual video plan offers everyone access to high-quality entertainment exclusively on their mobile devices. Users can sign-up for this plan via the Prime Video app (on Android) or website.
- Instant Access: Prime Members can watch anywhere, anytime on the Prime Video app for smart TVs, mobile devices, Fire TV, Fire TV stick, Fire tablets, Apple TV, and multiple gaming devices. Prime Video is also available to consumers through Airtel and Vodafone pre-paid and post-paid subscription plans. In the Prime Video app, Prime members can download episodes on their mobile devices and tablets and watch anywhere offline at no additional cost.
- Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
- Video Entertainment Marketplace: In addition to a Prime Video subscription, customers can also purchase add-on subscriptions to other streaming services, as well as, get rental access to movies on Prime Video.
- Prime Video Channels: Prime Video Channels offers friction-free and convenient access to a wide range of premium content from multiple video streaming services all available at a single destination – Prime Video website and apps. Prime Members can buy add-on subscriptions and enjoy a hassle-free entertainment experience, simplified discovery, frictionless payments, and more.
- Rent: Consumers can enjoy even more movies from new releases to classic favourites, available to rent – no Prime membership required. View titles available by visiting primevideo.com/store. The rental destination can be accessed via the STORE tab onprimevideo.com and the Prime Video app on Android smart phones, smart-TVs, connected STBs, and Fire TV stick.
Amazon Music: Amazon Music is a premium on-demand music streaming service that is available to Amazon Prime members at no additional cost under Amazon’s Prime membership program. Prime members get unlimited access to 100 million songs Ad-free & over 15 million podcasts episodes to stream at the tip of their fingers across Android and iOS mobile devices, Desktop, Fire TV Stick, Echo, and more. Users can also download & listen to their favorite songs offline as well which are available in over 20 languages including Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu, Punjabi and many more.
All these offerings from Amazon Music are included in the Prime membership program (along with other benefits like Prime Video and Free fast shipping) at an annual membership fee of INR 1,499/- and monthly membership of INR 179/-. For more information, visit www.amazon.in/amazonprimemusic or download the Amazon Music app.
About Alexa: Alexa is Amazon’s voice AI. Alexa lives in the cloud and is happy to help anywhere there's internet access and an Alexa-enabled device or app. Making Alexa part of your day is as simple as asking a question. Alexa can play your favorite song, read the latest headlines, dim the lights in your living room, help you discover new music, remind you to pay your bills, and more. Talking to Alexa feels like talking to a friend or family member. Basically, Alexa wants to make your life easier, more meaningful, and more fun by helping you voice control your world—both at home and on the go.